Saturday 1 October 2011

REFLECTING ON AS: Technical Skills Developed

Throughout the AS year, there was a number of technical skills I had developed over the course. I already had most of the basic skills to do a technical task, but I developed more knowledge throughout the year.

As I had done Media Studies throughout years 10 and 11, I was already familiar with video editing software and knew the basic tools to a program such as Final Cut Pro. I already had vast experience with video editing software as I used to create little videos and edit them myself. However, Final Cut Pro has been the most advanced video editing software I have used, and offered many features. This is what we used to create and edit our thriller video. There was little restrictions to this program compared to other video editing programs I have used. We could cut clips down to the millisecond which other programs I had used before could not let me do. This allowed me develop my skills and make me more precise when cutting clips and joining them.

I had learnt how to use the program LiveType. Before hand, I did not know at all how to use this program or where to even start. As the year went on, I developed my skills and after a while, was seamlessly creating titles to put into my groups thriller video.


I had also learnt how to use Handbrake. This program allowed us to format a file and convert it into a different format to make it compatible with other mediums (such as Blogger).

With recording, I learnt many technical skills as we were using a professional camera. On normal home cameras, they are very limited to what you want it to do. With the ones the college provided us with, we were briefed with all its functions and how they differ from normal cameras. These cameras had features where we could manually focus onto an object, change the lighting, change the recording settings, change the sound recording settings etc... In the year, as I used the camera, I became more technically comfortable with its features and how I can get the most of out it. An example was when we recorded our thriller opening, we changed the camera recording setting to 24fps (frames per second) at 1080p instead of 30fps. This was because I researched that 24fps is the format films are recorded at as it looks more realistic and natural to the eye. 30fps is too fast for moving objects on screen and adds that unrealism to the look of the finished recording. I also learnt how to use a tri-pod and the different angles it can be used at.

No comments:

Post a Comment