Sunday 8 January 2012

Research - Additional Ancillary Products

With a few days to go until our final deadline, I have completed my digipak and advertisement! Since I now have a bit of spare time, I decided to research a few more examples of ancillary products, as there are so many possibilities that I have stumbled across.
Florence on the Underground

First of all, remember a while ago when I was hoping I would find a billboard of Florence + the Machine to talk about in this blog post? Well, a few weeks ago I came across the following poster in the London Underground. For some reason, I've always loved seeing music posters and billboards, and it's one of the many ways in which we are constantly exposed to music in some way or another. Posters such as this are also very similar to magazine adverts, which I've now had a go at producing for myself, in terms of the information that is communicated. For example, with this poster, we see an image of the artist (Florence) which is also the one that is used on the album cover, the names of the artist and album, a list of the singles that are included, plus a star rating from a magazine review. Straight away I can tell from the past research that I have done that these are all common features that are displayed in print music adverts.

The internet has become a big platform for marketing, so it is no surprise that many websites feature advertising. One website in particular, however, is a hub of music promotion. In addition to featuring an endless amount of music videos, video sharing site YouTube has partnered with Vevo and now their advertising is inescapable. Below, you can find a slideshow of a couple of ways in which YouTube has been advertising Vevo.

Various Vevo adverts featured on YouTube

Following this, I decided to create my own YouTube/Vevo advert advertising Poppy Power's music video, which you can see, placed on the YouTube page of a Florence + the Machine song, below.

Click to enlarge

Finally, I decided to create an interactive banner ad that would be displayed on music sites. What I like about this is that they sometimes have the artist's latest music video embedded in the banner, which is great promotion as the site's visitor doesn't have to click away in order to watch it. I say this because it is the way in which I discovered Clare Maguire (who I have talked about before) and her song Ain't Nobody whilst browsing music site Popjustice (I have no idea why I remember this but there you go). Below you can see my outcome, which I produced using the site BannerSnack.

No comments:

Post a Comment