Tuesday 10 January 2012

ANCILLARY PLANNING: Ideas and Inspiration

The idea of how I am going to design my digipak and advertisement came from when I was researching artist's digipaks within the same genre of music we're working on. Ellie Goulding was a name one of my group members mentioned in class and after doing a little research, I had discovered two digipak covers of hers which had inspired me to create something similar. Her digipak cover on her album Bright Lights made me envision how I can create something along the same lines. As we had already decided our album name was to be called Lights Out, this digipak of Ellie Goulding made me think of how I can show the contrast between light and dark colours. The glowing effect on the artist's and album name is a set idea I want to include in my digipak as it will contradict the my album name, Lights Out. Its a play with words which I feel can work very well. Also, the small red and white light spectrums made me want to mimic the idea of lights fading away on the front and back covers of my digipak. The layout is easy and very simple, however, with the images we have, I  don't feel it will be enough centring an image and allowing all the focus to that image. However, the effects on this digipak made me feel inclined to include it on my digipak and to add more meaning to the images I will be using.



This other digipak of Ellie Goulding allowed me see what the contrast between light and dark colours look like. The way the gold glows seamlessly match the black background and her black top gives a great contrasting effect. Yet again the layout is simple, but on this digipak of hers, the glowing lights fading into the background getting smaller and smaller made me want to yet again mimic the idea. As the colour scheme on both my ancillary products are red, black and white/gold/yellow, I feel I can recreate the brilliant effect that this album covers has on the audience. Also, with my album being called Lights Out, it would make perfect sense to include a glowing effecting as it would suit and genre and images we have. This album cover allows the artist to stand out and really brings attention to her which is exactly what I would like to do.


The inside of this digipak allowed me to see that one image and easily be used to create the inside panel of my digipak. The simplicity of this design gave me the idea reproduce the exact same in my work. Although there is an effect with the image being darkened allowing the bright lines to stand out, I don't plan to recreate that effect. Just the simple effect of 1 image being printed across 2 panels made me like the idea of how a simple design can reveal so much.

To come out with a design for the advertisement, I just followed the same design, colours and fonts as my planned digipak. As I want them to both relate, I just brought the idea of my digipak onto the advertisement with slight changes in layout to make way for text and other imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment