Saturday 22 October 2011

Production - Reflecting on First Filming Session

As we prepare to head out to our woodland locations to film the majority of our music video next week, I thought I'd take a moment to reflect on how our project is going so far and Friday's projection shoot. Since we've blogged about the latter already (see here) I'll try not to repeat myself too much. However, below you can see another behind the scenes video that Poppy compiled from Friday.



Overall, I'm really exciting about how our planning is coming together. The shoot that took place during Friday's lesson exceeded my expectations, with the footage filmed looking really professional in my opinion, despite the simple techniques we made use of (i.e. the projector and at one point we even used Microsoft Paint... but you'll have to wait until we upload our rough cut to see that particular outcome!)

For the half-speed base track, we ended up using a still image that we sourced online. I liked the outcome, yet in retrospect, it would probably have been a better idea to not have used the tripod for that particular scene, as the shot seems a bit too static for me. However, we felt the tripod was necessary for the rest of the projections, especially since there was a lot of movement already in the footage that was projected onto Poppy. In our future filming sessions we plan to utilize a hand-held technique for the majority of our filming, as shots in music videos are rarely still.

On Thursday we will be picking up our equipment from college and heading to Abney Park. Having contacted the representatives of this particular location on behalf of the group, I still haven't gotten a response, but I emailed them again yesterday so hopefully we'll get a reply soon. The reason for this is because when I visited the park/cemetery a while ago, I noticed that the chapel (where we want to film one of our base tracks) was locked up, so we need to get permission for us to access it. I'm also a bit weary of the possibility of it raining and hope our plans don't get spoiled because of something as trivial as weather, but I don't think this is too likely, especially since we have indoor shots to film and we can just reschedule the outdoor scenes if it comes down to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment